onsdag, juli 22, 2009

Swedes suck!

Our technology has come pretty far and I don't think that I have let any of my friends NOT know through text messages, e-mails or Facebook that I've been to Los Angeles recently.
The trip there is no denying, but I will deny a few photos taken, mostly on principal. It wasn't me.

The trip was awesome in so many ways and the only thing I can think of that was a downer was that I stayed a week and a half more after partying and living it up at the hostel. It was like everything just slowed down, which is natural taking into account the changed living arrangements and the departure of my traveling buddy.
But all in all, it was an awesome trip, maybe because of this. I got the best of both worlds. Golfing, seeing parts of LA you don't see on your normal routes, laying in the sun reading a book and just relaxing on the one hand and the other part with touring the city on my own (i.e having to find the way as opposed to riding shotgun), hanging around the beach more, partying and meeting lots of new and really cool people.

In retrospect, that is the one thing that stands out when I think about the hostel. All the people we met were really down to earth and there was no stuck-up-ness so to say.
Sure, people are on vacation and looser, but still, there was something else. I think I'd sum it up as the ability to enjoy life and being humble at the same time.
Now I don't know how things are in the countries where these people came from, but the way they were down to earth really stood out to me. And of course americans are americans. Always chating you up, shooting the breeze and that's a sharp contrast to Sweden. I've never understood how you can not just reply when someone speaks to you, but totally ignore them.
That goes against everything I believe and stand for. Swedes suck in that way. It's often more cool to be that way than to reply and just be nice.

That's why I like the first month or so when I'm back home because the american way has rubbed off on me and during the time I'm still in that zone, I'm in a groove and just enjoy everything so much more.
But like everything else it sort of fades away, but hopefully by then, I'm doing something new to keep the juices flowing. That day, that sorrow as we say in Sweden. (makes less sense in english, but I had to write it because it sounded funny)
So I'm going to continue fighting the main stream way for as long as can, enjoy life and have that occasional drink/beer.
Why? Becuse I'm worth it.
Cheers. Salud. Na zdrowie. Skål kosmonauter!!

1 Comments:

At 3:13 fm, Blogger meegzisrad said...

I think travelers are so laid back and friendly- especially those staying in Hostels- because hey genuinely want to meet people and have a good time.

Coming home, I started to think about how rude and unaccommodating Australian's can be.. But, I guess in the real world, people are stressed and being friendly takes extra effort.

So I guess that happens everywhere?

But, I think I'm always in 'holiday' mode so to speak. I'm always trying to be friendly, laid back and meet new people- it's the best way to be. Making the effort to be friendly is worth it!!

 

Skicka en kommentar

<< Home