lördag, augusti 14, 2010

I met a boy....

One of my favourite movie passages is from "The basketball diaries" where Leo DiCaprio says:
It was a dream, not a nightmare. It was beautiful dream that I could never imagine nods. I saw this girl next to me. Who wasn't beautiful until she smiled. And I felt that smile come at me in heatwaves following. Soaking through my body, and out my fingertips in shafts of color. And I knew somewhere in the world, somewhere, that there was love for me.

Why I thought of this passage, is because of a guy that talked about his troubles with the world, and I could relate to these words even though I hadn't walked a mile or even a single step in his shoes.
The smile that the guy needed was a bigger one than the one I could offer him.
My friend asked me why I kept letting him take up my time, but to me it was obvious that just hanging out with the dude would help a lot.

He was still in school, doing drugs, had a father who beat him and a drunk for a mother. Talk about not having the odds on your side.
I don't know what he was on, but the pure rage that he displayed over the situation and mainly over his fathers abuse was something so raw, so.....frightening.
All I could think was how does someone cope with this every day and at such an early age?
I would like to think that my words helped him, but in all honesty, I don't think it was even a drop in the ocean.
Love is a beautiful killer and I'd like to hear how a believer in god justifies that someone is forced to live with such a fate like that.

Side bar: I really recommend "The basketball diaries" with Leonardo DiCaprio. Awesome film and if you're too cheap to buy it, it's on Youtube divided into 10 parts. Here is the link to part 1. Enjoy!