fredag, augusti 06, 2010

Cheeseburger thinking

I'm going to use this analogy to describe a way of thinking without thinking. What I mean is that it's a quick thought that sounds good, but in reality isn't.
In this case I once again find myself using Facebook and this time it's the group "show the identity of pedophiles so that we can protect our children".
Clear and cut, what can be wrong with that? A monster has commited one of the world's worst crimes, why should that person have any rights?

First off, if this person is a convicted pedophile, punishment has been given and time has been served. But is he/she branded for life because of this? So I ask you again, hasn't this person served time and is now afforded at least the chance to try and live a normal life? How will they lead a normal life if everyone in their neighbourhood has them pegged as a pedophile?

Second, how many people will carry this book or list of people with them, and while out with their kids try and match faces to the book?
It is much more plausible that it will spawns vigilanties that will persecute these people and harass or even assult them.

So please take a moment the next time you hear one of these leading questions or statements. If a person has served their time, they should be afforded the same rights as anybody else, no matter how heinous the crime.

The two reasons why I feel this way is that even if the system is flawed, it is the one we live by, and therefor abide by. Second is the thought that hit me, that if someone molested my sister when she was younger and I found out who they were....
I don't want to speculate any further, because that is a dark path, but it would have been bad.