fredag, januari 21, 2011

Am I in Camden yet?

What can I say, Byron bay was a blast. The first two days was certainly NOT an indicator of what was to come. I had an awesome time and was sort of reluctantly heading to the Gold coast airport on Saturday for a short flight down to Melbourne.
At the bus stop I met Chris, of course a Canadian dude, who was also heading up to the Gold coast, but not the airport.
My phone had earlier been manhandled by yours truly and it was just sheer luck that I checked it (my vibrator had given up) because there had been a misscommunication as the shuttle was sent to the hostel and the person who booked the shuttle sent me to the bus stop.
So after a short goodbye, I was on my way. The female driver was very inquisitive about life in Sweden, why I was in Oz and where I was headed. It was quite a pleasant conversation and it made the 1 hour trip to the airport a very nice one.

Once there, surprise surprise, the flight was delayed. The usual routine was performed, check in, chuck your water bottles, wait for the flight. The only difference is the fact that I was in a waiting hall with a ton of bogans! Up until that day, I had never really understood the full meaning of this word, but right then, it became so clear.
To put it laymans terms, it was a commercial for birth control.
Once on the plane, I get seated at my emergency exit seat as I had requested because of the leg room. Shortly after, I get to enjoy Tiger airways. A budget airline, yes, but there was nothing budget about the two very nice, and good looking, flight attendants take turn in instructing me on what to do in case of an emergency.
I had the urge to make an emergency exit remark, but refrained, and just listened.
The flight took off, I read some, my head tilted down the isle a few times and I went to sleep. A few hours later I'm on the road again with my backpack in the hot blazing Melbourne sun.

A bus ride and some direction confusion later, I'm sitting at a bar in Melbourne, beer in hand, plate of fish and chips in front of me and my very good friend Megan on my side with her friend Ali as well.
The food was decent, the beer cheap and we finished it with only a few spills by "someone".
Being from Stockholm, I am no stranger to public transport and although the tram isn't really my normal way travel on the ground, we hopped on one and were soon up north of the city on Sydney road.
I have to be honest and say that I was a bit knackered from the trip, but thanks to the good people of Coca cola and Jim Beam, this problem was soon but a memory.

Of course we had to relive the good ol' times of Venice beach, so a game of "fuck the bus" was the only right thing to do.
After that we had just an awesome time out at a very cool place called "The retreat" (if I'm not mistaking)
The one thing that remained the same whether you are in Sweden or Australia is the late night kebab. I still haven't taken a liking to the sweat and sour sauce that they use here. Spicty tomato and garlic is still my brand.
Funny thing was paying $10 dollars for a kebab with chips(fries) that only should cost $9,50 and then receiving the news that there were no chips.
After a short argument, I got a bottle of water as consolation. Side bar to this is that the kebab stand later became my landmark on Sydney road.
After that, cab home, crash and.....stay with me and you'll find out.

To be continued....